Ghetto in Novaya Ushitsa urban-type settlement, Khmelnytskyi region, Ukraine
A photo catalog of the burials of this cemetery is available at the LINK
According to the 1939 census, more than 3.5 thousand Jews lived in Novaya Ushitsa, accounting for more than 54% of the local population. Information about those evacuated and drafted into the army has not been preserved. According to eyewitnesses, many Jews refused to leave the settlement, remembering the experience of the German occupation of Novaya Ushitsa during the First World War.
The settlement was occupied on July 14, 1941. The Nazis created a Judenrat headed by Chaim Dinitsa. His sons Moishe and Chaim became assistants to the head of the Judenrat.
In September 1941, the occupants began to create a ghetto. The area of Bazaar Square and Pochtovaya Street was surrounded by a two-meter fence with barbed wire. One could get into the ghetto through one guarded gate.
The prisoners were used for forced labor. The Judenrat formed groups of young people for the construction of roads in other districts of the Khmelnytskyi region. The rest were used by the Nazis at work in Novaya Ushitsa. Jews cleaned roads, prepared firewood, worked in quarries, mining clay and sand, and were engaged in handicrafts.
There was no light in the ghetto. The invaders did not pay for forced labor. The prisoners survived by exchanging things for food with the local population who came to the ghetto fence. By the summer of 1942, the ghetto ran out of supplies of essential goods.
In August 1942, the Nazis began to liquidate the ghetto. The first destruction was carried out on August 20, 1942. The Jews were informed that they were being sent to the Dunayevtsy station for boarding a train and further sending them to Palestine. Most of the prisoners were lined up in a column and escorted to the place of execution in Trichovsky forest.
For a small part of Jewish specialists left by the Nazis in Novaya Ushitsa, a so-called small ghetto of 15 houses was created.
In Trichovsky forest, the local population dug several ditches on the orders of the Nazis. According to the State Commission for the Investigation of the Atrocities of the German Fascist Invaders, 16 graves of civilians were discovered in the Novoushitskiy region, in which 3.2 thousand bodies were found. After the exhumation, it was established that the victims were shot with automatic weapons, killed with blunt heavy objects. Children were buried alive in mass graves.
The second execution aktion took place in October 1942. According to the information of the Project for the Search and Perpetuation of the Names of Holocaust Victims in the Occupied Territories of the Former USSR, 500 people were shot in Novaya Ushitsa.
After the war, out of 3.5 thousand prisoners of the Novoushitsy ghetto, 12 people survived.