Jewish cemeteries in Balta
The oldest Hasidic cemetery in Balta was on the territory, which is located between Turgeneva and Yaroslavskogo streets. Of the known geographical maps, where this kirkut is indicated there is a map of 1927, based on data from the early 1900s. It is assumed that this cemetery was founded in the 18th century or a little earlier and was active until about the end of the 19th century, when a new Jewish cemetery began to operate on the northern outskirts of Balta.
In the late 1930s, before World War II, this cemetery was vandalized and almost destroyed. Gradually, housing development and cattle grazing began on its territory. To date, there are no tombstones or parts of them left - it is assumed that a significant part of them was used in construction.
The second or new Jewish cemetery in Balta is located in its vicinity, in the area called Krasnyi Yar. The cemetery itself is located on a hill. According to some sources, it was created around the mid-1880s and is indicated on the maps of the 1920s. The oldest burials are located in the southern part of the kirkut and date back to the middle of the 19th century, but most of the burials were made in the post-war period. And although a lot of old matzevahs have been preserved in the cemetery, almost all of them require restoration. The total number of tombstones is about 1000.
The length of the perimeter of the cemetery is about a kilometer, its northern and western parts have a metal fence, the southern part is partially fenced, and there is no fence in the eastern part. There are two entrances: on the south and west side. Some part of the territory of the cemetery is used as a field. The cemetery still operates today and is protected. The land under the cemetery is owned by the local territorial community.
The condition of the territory is relatively good, but requires constant cleaning and clearing of vegetation. This is followed by members of the local Jewish community, whose efforts put the cemetery in order. From time to time, kirkut, as a local attraction, is visited by organized excursion groups, private visitors from among the relatives of the deceased and those simply interested in the Jewish heritage and history that this sacred place is saturated with.