Lukyanovskoe cemetery, Kyiv, Ukraine
Jewish cemetery, the territory of which was located in the area between the modern Yuriy Ilyenko Street and the Repyakhov Yar tract.
It existed from 1894 to 1937. According to the report of the trust "Kyivmiskbud No. 1" dated September 1961, which carried out the arrangement of the territory on the site of the former cemetery, the last graves were dated 1939.
The city authorities allocated land on Lukyanovka near the Jewish Hospital after the Jewish cemetery on the Menagerie (now the Grishko Botanical Garden) was overcrowded. The territory was planned by the academician of architecture Vladimir Nikolayev.
The territory of the necropolis, according to the "Statistical Review of Kyiv Cemeteries" (1929), was 23.3 hectares. The cemetery was surrounded by a brick fence. The main entrance, made in the form of an arched gate, was located on the side of Dorogozhitskaya Street (now Yuriy Ilyenko). On the territory of the necropolis there was an office building and a room for ritual ablutions.
In 1932, the Kyiv authorities allowed the Bolshevik plant to use the bricks of the cemetery wall for construction needs in exchange for a promise from the company's management to build a wall of other materials. After part of the wall was dismantled, livestock of the local population began to penetrate through the hole into the territory of the cemetery, and cases of vandalism increased. The Presidium of the City Council made a decision obliging the management of the Bolshevik plant to build a fence. So instead of a capital stone, a wooden fence appeared.
The territory of the Jewish cemetery suffered during the years of occupation. According to eyewitnesses, the Nazis forced the prisoners of the Syrets camp to move the gravestones from the cemetery to Babiy Yar, where the remains of the victims were burned on the gravestones.
In the late 1950s, the cemetery was abandoned. Some of the burials were transferred to the newly opened city Berkovetskoye cemetery.
In 1962, the authorities decided to liquidate the churchyard and develop its territory. On the site of the cemetery, a sports complex and a television equipment-studio complex were erected. The cemetery office building was transferred to one of the city's hockey clubs.
In the 1990s, thanks to the efforts of representatives of the Jewish community of San Francisco, some of the surviving burials were surrounded by a symbolic fence.
By the order of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine, the building of the former cemetery office was transferred to the National Historical and Memorial Complex "Babiy Yar".