Jewish cemetery in Grodno, Belarus
Jews settled on the territory of Grodno since the 12th century. The first Jewish cemeteries are mentioned in the privilege of Prince Vytautas of the 14th century. By the 20th century there were three Jewish cemeteries in the city: Old, New and Zanemanskoye.
The old one along Bolshaya Troitskaya Street was demolished in the middle of the 20th century. According to old-timers, fragments of monuments and the remains of the authorities were transferred to the Zanemanskoye cemetery, making a mountain of earth and broken slabs. Now there is a parking lot on the territory of the Old Jewish Cemetery.
The new Jewish cemetery on Gorkogo Street was closed in 1949. The territory of the churchyard in 1958 was given for the construction of the stadium "Krasnoye Znamya" (now - "Neman").
Tombstones from the cemetery were used by the authorities for the construction of roads. Metal sign at the cemetery entrance - for the installation of a monument to Lenin. Some of the tombstones were dismantled by local residents and used for household needs.
In 2003, during the reconstruction of the stadium, part of the remains were transferred to the Zanemanskoye cemetery. Through the efforts of the community, a memorial plaque was installed at the stadium.
Zanemanskoye cemetery is the only surviving Jewish cemetery in Grodno. It is located on the southern bank of the Neman River, west of the New Bridge. Burials in the cemetery have been carried out since the 18th century. According to sources, the cemetery was founded at the same time in the Zaneman suburb.
Closed in the late 1960s. Related subburials are allowed on it.
According to various estimates, there are about 2,000 burials in the cemetery in varying degrees of preservation. Data on 1829 tombstones with fully or partially readable data are cataloged and available on the Internet.
The cemetery had a house of ablution and a caretaker's lodge. In the war and post-war years, prisoners of the Grodno ghetto were buried here.
Hasidic righteous are buried at the Zanemanskoye cemetery. One of the sights of the churchyard is the grave of Rabbi Alexander Ziskind, who died in 1794. According to sources, he bequeathed to bury only righteous people near his grave. In the 1990s, the grave was restored at the expense of donors from Israel and other countries.
In 2018, the city authorities terminated the contract with the family that took care of the cemetery and opened the gates for tourists. The castle was changed, and for a long time pilgrims could not enter the territory of the cemetery.
The authorities discussed the issue of handing over the keys from the cemetery gates to the synagogue. Since 2019, the churchyard is again available for pilgrims.