» Articles » Old Jewish cemetery Ulyanovsk

Old Jewish cemetery Ulyanovsk

Jews in Simbirsk (the name of Ulyanovsk until 1924) settled in the first half of the 19th century. The Jewish cemetery is located along Robespierre Street. The necropolis was founded in 1843 on the northwestern outskirts of the city, not far from the city's slaughterhouses. 34 years later, the city Voskresenskoye cemetery appeared across the ravine.

According to the data of 1882, the cemetery occupied 224 squares of fathoms (0.1 hectares). In 1932, it increased to 3.3 hectares. The necropolis functioned until 1972 and was closed along with the Voskresenskoye Cemetery. According to the recollections of old residents, after the cemetery was closed it became one of the criminal areas of Ulyanovsk. Relatives were afraid to visit the graves. Over time, the cemetery turned out to be in the center of the city, overgrown with bushes and trees. Since 2010, volunteers have been cleaning up the cemetery.

On the territory of the cemetery, there are the remains of the Hevra Kaddish building and the dilapidated guardhouse of the caretaker.

According to local historians, there are more than 300 burials in the cemetery. More than 280 burials are included in the electronic catalog. Of these, 10 chronological and anthroponymic data have survived only partially and do not allow identification.

The earliest burial of those included in the catalog belongs to Biurgeg Anna Yakovlevna (she died in 1907). Later - Rodshtein Sarra Geselevna (1897-1976). The burial was carried out after the official closure of the cemetery by the method of subburial in the grave of Rodstein Gershon Ioselevich (1889-1954).

The grave monuments in the cemetery are made in the form of traditional matzevahs, stelas, ohels, as well as a tree trunk, which is characteristic of the funeral tradition of Belarusian Jews. This is the monument at the grave of Efim Markovich Weinstein (1911-1959).

The inscriptions on the gravestones are mostly in Russian. There are inscriptions in Hebrew.

On the burials of the first half of the twentieth century, Hebrew inscriptions occupy most of the slab, and inscriptions in Russian are applied below, as, for example, on the graves of Goldman Ruvvim Leontievich (1853-1919) and Levitas Moisey Iosifovich (1870-1922).

On the burials of the second half of the 20th century, inscriptions in Russian occupy a central place. The Hebrew inscriptions only supplement the basic information. For example, on the tombstone of the grave of Kaplun Iosif Naumovich (1902-1970), the inscriptions in Russian are highlighted visually, and the letters are larger than the letters in Hebrew.