Jewish cemetery in Romny, Ukraine
Romny is a city in the Sumy region of Ukraine, where Jews settled from the beginning of the 19th century. The city's community reached its maximum size in the first decades of the twentieth century. Then Jews accounted for more than 40% of urban residents. By 1939, the number of Jews had dropped to 14% and continued to decline throughout the second half of the twentieth century.
According to the information of the Romny city council, there are 7 cemeteries on the territory of the city with a total area of 39.07 hectares. The Jewish cemetery is located along Vakhrameeva Street. It is on the balance sheet of the city council.
According to the 2005 American Commission for the Preservation of Jewish Heritage Abroad, the cemetery did not contain burials of the deceased from other localities in the region. The territory of the cemetery has decreased, compared to the 1930s, due to the construction of industrial and commercial facilities.
A wall with a gate, part of which has been destroyed, surrounds the cemetery. Access to the cemetery is possible from several sides and is not controlled. Within the cemetery, there is an ohel and the remains of several places of worship. There are men's, women's and children's sectors.
The cemetery was seriously damaged at the hands of the occupiers during the Second World War.
In the report of the American Commission, the main threats to the existence of the Jewish cemetery in the city of Romny are:
- Uncontrolled access perceived as a very serious threat.
- Vandalism identified as a major threat.
- Uncontrolled vegetation growth, assessed as moderate threat.
- Soil erosion and nearby construction have been identified as a minor threat.
The American Commission estimates that there are between 500 and 5,000 gravestones in the cemetery. About half of them are destroyed or are not in their original location.
The cemetery is partially cataloged. The electronic register includes 20 graves and 5 burials without anthroponymical and chronological data.
According to the American Commission, the earliest burials date back to 1918. In the electronic catalog, the earliest burial is the collective grave of the Shifrin family of the second half of the 1930s - early 1940s.
The names of six people are indicated on the monument. The first in chronology is Shifrin Abram Leibovich (1855-1922), then Gelfand Ester Bella Abramovna (1893-1935). Under three names: Shifrin Roza Beniaminovna (born in 1923), Beniamin Abramovich (born in 1881) and Sonya Zalmanovna (born in 1881) there is a date - 1941. The dates (1915 - 1942) appear under the name Shifrin Shaya Beniaminovich.