Cemetery in Bar, Vinnytsia region
The city of Bar in Vinnytsia region has a special historical value for the Jewish people. It was in this city where one of the oldest Jewish communities settled. For the first time about the barbarian Jews it is mentioned back in 1542. Besides, the inhabitants of this town suffered the hardest fate during the Second World War, because it was this town that first fell under the occupation of German troops and became the place of mass death of Jewish people.
In 1910 there were more than 10 thousand Jews in Bar. On the territory of the city there were opened 12 synagogues, a Jewish cemetery; in the 13th year the school for Jewish women was founded. During these years, a large number of plants and factories were founded by the Jewish community. However, in the 70s of the 20th century, the center of the city of Bar was completely rebuilt, as a result almost all the historical heritage of the Jewish people was destroyed. From the face of the earth, synagogues, monuments of architecture, buildings of Jewish organizations and even the remains of the old Jewish cemetery were erased.
Nowadays in the place of the old Jewish cemetery the houses are risen. There was not a single trace left of him. On the territory of the city there is also a new Jewish cemetery. Its territory is surrounded by a low fence, and in the center there is a monument to the victims of fascism. Near the tombstones there are copies of documents telling about the executions of the local Jewish population. There is also a map of Vinnytsia region with exact locations of ghettos and concentration camps.
Thanks to historical documents and stories of witnesses of those horrible moments of history, the names of the dead and buried in the old and new Jewish cemeteries are gradually being restored, but there is still much work to be done.